The state government intends to hold the fast approaching Zilla Panchayat elections in Goa, on political party lines.
According to Goa state election commission R. K. Srivastava, it has incorporated clause 16A and section 133A of the Goa Panchayat Raj Act ahead of conducting ZP polls in Goa.
Srivastava claims that “the provision of the Goa Panchayat Raj Act has been amended and Clause 16A incorporated in the Act defining Political Parties means a Political Party as defined under the Clause (f) of sub-section 1 of Section 2 of the Representation of People Act, 1951 and further Section 133A newly inserted in the Goa Panchayat Act, 1994 provided that the Election of the Members of the Zilla Panchayat in the Constituency of the Zilla Panchayat shall be for the candidate sponsored by Political Parties as defined under the Clause 16A of sub-section 2 of the Act. However, independent candidate shall also be eligible to contest as independents.”
The state election commission has appointed the following as returning officers for conducting bye-elections to Village Panchayats and Zilla Panchayat.
- Dy. Collector/SDO of Satari Taluka, Valpoi-Goa.
- Mamlatdar of Quepem Taluka, Quepem-Goa.
- Mamlatdar of Bardez Taluka, Mapusa-Goa.
- Mamlatdar of Salcete Taluka, Margao-Goa.
- Mamlatdar of Satari Taluka, Valpoi-Goa.
- Head Clerk of Quepem Taluka, Quepem -Goa.
- Aval Karkun of Bardez Taluka, Mapusa-Goa.
- Aval Karkun of Salcete Taluka, Margao-Goa.