According to Goa Agriculture Director, Nevil Alphonso, the state government has introduced 2 new schemes for farmers cultivating vegetables in Goa. Public notification issued by the agriculture department, said that Local Vegetable Seed Production Programme and Assistance for Plastic Mulching have been introduced in the state.
LOCAL VEGETABLE SEED PRODUCTION PROGRAMME
In order to conserve and proliferate local varieties of vegetables, it is proposed to take up local vegetable seed multiplication during 2020-21. Objectives:
a) To promote conservation of local vegetable germplasm, adaptable to local environment and tolerant resistant to pests and diseases.
b) To increase the production of local vegetables which are in demand in the state thereby reducing the dependency on neighboring states.
c) To make available local vegetable seeds in sufficient quantity for its large scale cultivation.
The farmers willing to cultivate local vegetable for production of seed in minimum area of 0.05 ha. will be registered by the Department of Agriculture as registered seed growers.
Such selected farmers will be provided good quality local seeds at 50% subsidised rate besides providing technical knowhow for the production of quality seed. Registered seed growers will be extended other Department Schemes on priority such as Assistance for Irrigation, Fencing, Organic inputs, etc.
The vegetable seed produced by the farmer will be purchased by the Directorate of Agriculture at a prefixed rate which will be decided by the committee constituted for the purpose at the beginning of the cropping season.
ASSISTANCE FOR PLASTIC MULCHING
Vegetables and flowers cultivation face considerable problems due to weed menace. Due to heavy rains and sunshine weeds come up luxuriantly in all the fields posing threat to the main crop. Due to bright sunlight and high temperature the soil moisture gets depleted very fast increasing the demand for irrigation water. Under this component plastic mulching in vegetables and flowers will be promoted to reduce weed menace and conservation of moisture in the soil.
Pattern of Assistance
1. Plastic mulch of 25 to 50 microns black or white colour can be used depending on the crop which will be assisted under the scheme.
2. The estimated cost of plastic mulch per hectare is approximately Rs. 16000/-.
3. 75% assistance on the cost of material amounting to Rs. 12,000/- ha. will be provided to the farmer.
4. The minimum area that can be assisted is 0.05 ha. and maximum of 4 ha.
5. Assistance will be provided on the actual area covered and certified by the Zonal Agriculture Officer.
6. Material purchased within and outside the State will also be considered for assistance to transfer the technology to the farming community of Goa.